Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Urban Farmers get Real in Butchering Classes

Hat tip to Lee Hill Kavanaugh, published in the Kansas City Star.  [Good for you writing about this!]
Writeup here: Chicken butchering classes really are offered and attended.
Pictoral Blog of workshop here: [There is blood so don't visit if you are squeamish]  Urban chicken butchering workshop pictures

The pictures from the chicken workshop are exactly what my workshop was like.  People in bandannas, tables set up, pots of water, buckets... same same.  Except for the snips.  We learned a few different methods, but that one actually looks better than my sharp knife.  I went to one of these at a farm that was more than an hour away.  It was one of those things where I was glad that I went.  My daughter wanted to attend also.  She was fine with it and has helped me since then with the odd roosters that we've ended up with.  She was 8 at the time.

If chicken isn't your thing, you can attend a  Rabbit Class in Brooklyn.

No, I don't keep rabbits.  ;-)

No comments: